“Paul Bogaert’s debut collection of poems, WELCOME HYGIENE, was published in 1996. It features verses full of bizarre logic and a carefully measured mixture of styles and linguistic registers. His restless first person narrator is plagued with over-awareness; the way he analyses himself and others creates an alienating effect.
The same rousing mental and physical sensations surface in his second volume Circulaire systemen (Circular systems, 2002). In this collection Bogaert examines his fascination for all things that rotate. A closed, circular system generates security, but also discomfort. In an aloof, pseudo-scientific tone he creates poetic language machines, in which the ordinary is contrasted with the systematic.
In 2006, his third collection of poems, AUB (PLEASE), was published. In 2008 Paul Bogaert wrote the National Poetry Day essay Verwondingen (Injuries), in which he tries to explain the secrets of poetry by analysing the Serbian contribution (2007) to the Eurovision Song Contest.
de Slalom soft (the Slalom soft, 2009) is a long, sparkling, narrative poem, featuring a lifeguard in a subtropical swimming paradise, personal coaches, drowned bodies and office workers.
In just a few years and with only four collections of poems, Bogaert has proved himself one of the most striking voices among young Flemish poets.” (Tom Van de Voorde)
Paul Bogaert wins the 2010-2011 Culture Prize for Poetry.
Rob Schouten about Paul Bogaert (2007).
Does Belgian poetry exists? (Poetry International, 2009).
- WELCOME HYGIENE, Meulenhoff|Manteau, Amsterdam/Antwerpen, 1996.
- Circulaire systemen (Circular systems), Meulenhoff, Amsterdam, 2002.
- AUB (PLEASE), Meulenhoff|Manteau, Amsterdam/Antwerpen, 2006.
- de Slalom soft (the Slalom soft), Meulenhoff|Manteau, Amsterdam/Antwerpen, 2009.
Flemish Culture Prize Poetry 2010-2011. Herman de Coninck Prize for best collection 2010.
- Ons verlangen (Our Longing), De Bezige Bij Antwerpen, 2013.
Herman de Coninck Prize for best collection 2014.
Poems from the collections
- Poems from WELCOME HYGIENE, Circular Systems, PLEASE, Our Longing (Poetry International Rotterdam)
- Charity now… (From: AUB)
- She gives… (From: AUB)
- ADDRESS, in: Jacket 31. (From: AUB)